Skip to main content

On Confusion

 I just don't really get it.

Apparently, (though it's far from apparent to me), quantum particles can exist in 'superposition'; prior to any external interaction with them, tiny particles like electrons can flip between two separate locations in space, without ever really forming solidly in either. They could be said to exist in two places simultaneously, while never truly existing in either place at all. It appears, or at least it did to 20th century quantum physicists, that stuff only exists in a solid, binary sense when it comes into contact with other stuff.

Apparently, I’m more than one gender. I’m a man, and have always been a man, and I’m also a woman (surprise!) - and, perhaps most confusingly, I’m neither. There’s my superposition - call me the Jon/Lauren particle (for, in case you didn’t know yet, Lauren is the name I’m taking to embark upon my voyage through the world as a woman). Watch me relate to the world around me. Observe me, flitting between states of being - and through your interactions with me, help to determine my properties.

Do not worry that you do not ‘get’ me. Nobody ‘gets’ quantum physics, and arguably gender is just as expansive. What I want is not fear, but wonder.

We contemplate the cosmos contained in a cloud: trillions of stars the size of ours, orbited by trillions more planets, some spewing volcanic froth, others placid and mute, others still stormy, and gaseous. We bludgeon our big brains with bigger numbers, steaming, stretching, to comprehend the great cornucopia of existence. We find we can't do it. Not now.

We could react to this with fear: cosmic nihilism could convince us that relative smallness means relative insignificance. We could label our awe 'sublime', and convince ourselves to be content in never knowing what's 'up there'.

But all our satellites, telescopes and rocket ships, all those expensive, wonderful, delicate pieces of engineering beyond our atmosphere that let us see deep into our universe's past, and glimpse its rules and machinations, are solid testaments to the possibility of an alternative reaction: excitement. Wonder

When I invoke your wonder, I am not asking for you to wonder at me, like I am the object of interest here. To be mainly curious about an individual gender-fluid person, rather than the confusing Big-Bang of gender possibilities they represent, is to stare slack-jawed at an astronomer and miss the Milky Way. Please, do some stargazing of your own. Wonder not at me, but with me, at the new constellations of gender presentation emerging from behind the clouds.

Perhaps we mostly still believe that the sun rotates around the Earth, that we ourselves are the centre of all creation. It certainly looks like it from here, regardless of what Galileo might have said.

We mostly still believe a gender is something inseparably fused to a body, something soldered to us at birth - despite our presumable ambivalence towards all the motifs that tag carries with it (blue for breadwinners, pink for skirt-wearers, toy soldiers for boy soldiers and pink dresses for princesses).

We are bound by this binary, because we dare not look existence in the eye. Biology itself, hailed so widely as the last bastion of the binary, in fact bears the rainbow flag at its front gate. The human species contains spectrums of hormones, chromosomal contortions, hair lengths, chest sizes, voice pitches, shoulder widths - and, yes, if you really must pry, Mr Perv, sometimes there’s room for confusion downstairs too.

Culture outdoes sex here - our society gives us dresses, and joggers, and leggings, and tank tops and tanks and shoe shops and shooting ranges and shaving habits and pink crocs and frilly frocks and Lippy for Her and Lynx for Him - all so we pass our lives along preset parallel lines, never crossing the gap to meet each other and mingle in the middle.

The fun comes when you play around with the relations between these two old lovers - biological sex and sociological gender. To wear Gene’s jeans with Jean’s genes. Nail varnish on hairy hands. Eyeliner and a moustache.

I do not for a second claim to be ‘representative’. Most gender-fluid people aren’t like me. I am a mere particle, flickering in the quantum ether, bumping into the world and discovering, each time, who I have become. The common transgender narrative of knowing oneself to be ‘born in the wrong body’, while valid and beautifully human, is not my story. I haven’t always felt like this. Right up until a few months ago, barring some experiments with nail varnish, I’ve always been content simply identifying as a man.

My ‘transition story’ went like this: I read some books about trans people, thought ‘oh, that’s interesting!’ and haven’t lost that initial spark of curiosity. For some of you reading this, despite the deliberate queerness of the whole essay’s prose, that last sentence might have been the hardest to comprehend. 

But that’s exactly the point.

You do not understand me. You are not capable of understanding me.

How do I know?

Because I do not understand me, and I aspire never to be able to. Can you imagine how boring it’d be to fully know yourself?

All we can aspire to do, in a universe of un-absorbable infinity, is try. Reach out, with a delicate hand and a curious eye, and play among the stars.

Thank you for wondering with me. I hope you’re as confused as I am.

Jon + Lauren



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suicide or Solidarity

Content warnings: discussion of suicide, self-harm, grief, genocide Don't set yourself on fire. The act of self-immolation as a form of political protest has a long history, and in recent months, some people have committed suicide by fire in response to the genocide in Gaza. Every single one of these people deserves immense respect for their empathy, for their integrity, and their commitment to standing in solidarity with the people of Palestine.  But I've been in a protest group where two young people set themselves on fire for the cause, and this kind of protest cannot be valorised. The romanticisation of self-sacrifice leads to nothing but grief. We must find a way to appreciate and acknowledge the sincerity of those who self-immolate for a political message, while strictly dissuading any further acts of suicide. This is for a very simple reason: unnecessary violence cannot end unnecessary violence. There are compelling arguments as to why violence, in many circumstances, is

Cancel All Non-Vegans

Content warnings: Discussion of animal abuse, misogyny, racism, and vegetarianism. Supposedly a fighter for social justice, Jeremy Corbyn spent much of his life eating the products of animal suffering. It's about time somebody said it. I say it with my chest: Cancel all non-vegans. Cancel all non-vegans. Cancel all non-vegans. Cancel all non-vegans. Cancel all non-vegans. Racists don't deserve platforms, respect, or sympathy. Misogynists don't deserve platforms, respect, or sympathy. Homophobes, transphobes, Israel apologists, and other violent bigots do not deserve to be pandered to, catered for, or listened to. We need them as far out of our social discourse as possible. Most reasonable people accept this. Violent people do not deserve our protection. So why are we blind to the violence of animal-eaters? My Dad's a racist. I disowned him for watching a Ben Shapiro video in 2020. My mother, seemingly sweet and kind-natured, regularly eats the flesh of once-sentient bei

Just Do Better.

This week, I left Just Stop Oil. Since April this year, I have given months of my life, multiple arrests, my mind, my voice, my heart and my energy to Just Stop Oil. It’s cost me a relationship, the respect of some friends, and caused many arguments with my family. The arrests mean I’ll likely struggle to work in the education sector, and limit my general career prospects. More than that, working for Just Stop Oil has come at the cost of my mental health. I’ve noticed myself reading less, sleeping badly, spending most of my days angry, in despair, and have developed bad habits of toxic resentment that will take a long time to work beyond. My issues with Just Stop Oil started right at the first talk I went to, given by two people I’ve got deep love and respect for and have been on arrestable actions with since. Their messaging was about “the truth”, and about how high-profile “sacrifice” is needed to stop oil before we reach a “tipping point”. This initial talk exhibited all the problem